Skip to content

FAQ: Admissions/Prospective Students

Who do I contact with questions about the TWU application process, including my transcripts, English language proficiency, etc.?
Please contact the Office of Admissions Processing at for all TWU admissions questions.

What admissions deadlines I should be aware of?
International students have 2 deadlines: the TWU admissions application deadline and the International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) Immigration deadline.

Fall semester - Preferred deadline: April 1; FINAL deadline: June 1
Spring Semester - Preferred deadline: August 1; FINAL deadline: November 1
Summer Semester* - Preferred deadline: March 1; FINAL deadline: April 1 *only applies to academic programs that are eligible to begin in the Summer
Please be aware that your admission to TWU and/or the TWU Graduate School does not mean you are fully admitted. You must still complete the ISSS admissions process before you qualify to begin your academic program as an F-1 international student. 

Accepted students must submit all required immigration documents through the International Portal by the following dates
Fall Semester - August 1
Spring Semester - December 1
Summer Semester* - May 1  *only applies to academic programs that are eligible to begin in the summer

NOTE: Applications for admission to TWU are processed as they are received, without regard to semester deadlines. If the ISSS Immigration deadline has passed, students who are out-of-the-country may be accepted to TWU but will need to defer admission to the next available semester based on their F-1 Visa processing dates. 

How do I send you my documents for my I-20?
Within 5-7 business days after you’ve been admitted to TWU and/or TWU Graduate School for the upcoming semester, you will receive an email from the ISSS office with information on how to submit your immigration documents.This email will include instructions on how to log into the International Portal with your TWU user name and password. You will then follow the instructions by accessing the request appropriate for your admissions status: Request for Transfer I-20 (if you are transferring from another U.S. institution) or Request for Initial I-20 (if you are coming from your home country). You will be able to upload your documents there.

I am a prospective student and I have questions. Who can I contact?
You can access Prospective Student information on the ISSS webpage. You can also contact with questions. Please contact your academic department with questions about your academic plan, and contact the TWU Admissions Processing office ( for questions about your TWU application.  

How can I plan ahead for my tuition costs?
You can estimate your tuition using the Tuition Estimator on TWU's website. Please be aware that the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) requires all F-1 Visa international students to prove that they have funding available for their education before arriving in the U.S. Part of the ISSS immigration admissions process is submitting a Certification of Finances document showing proof of funds for tuition and fees, books and miscellaneous materials, as well as insurance and housing costs.
How much money do I have to show in my Certification of Finances to have my I-20 issued?
DHS requires the university to obtain proof from the student that they have liquid funds available to them (person, sponsor, government, scholarships, etc.) to finance their education so they will not be a burden to the U.S. Each year, the ISSS office calculates an estimate using information from the Bursar (tuition), Financial Aid (books, supplies, room and board, personal expenses, transportation), Student Health Services (insurance), and the Department of Health and Human Services (dependent cost). As of July 2023, that amount is $31,116 for a graduate student and $38,202 for an undergraduate student.

Can I receive federal financial aid or scholarships as an F-1 Visa international student?
F-1 international students are not eligible for federal financial aid or need-based funding, but are eligible for merit-based scholarships. Students may apply for merit-based scholarships as soon as they have been accepted to the university. Additionally, by receiving a scholarship or Graduate Assistantship position, an F-1 student may subtract those funds from the amount they must show in their Certification of Finances to obtain their I-20.To apply for a TWU scholarship, click here.

Is it possible for me to qualify for in-state tuition?
Being awarded a competitive scholarship of at least $1000 usually qualifies a student for in-state tuition at TWU. The Scholarship office will make this determination when a student submits their general scholarship application. Employment by the university in a Graduate Assistant position (GA, GTA, GRA) may qualify the student for an in-state tuition waiver depending on academic department funding availability. Additionally, F-1 international students who qualify for Texas residency may submit the Core Residency Questionnaire to the TWU Registrar's office. 

I’ve been admitted, but I see holds on my record preventing me from registering. What do these holds mean? 
Some examples of holds on F-1 international students are:
  • International Orientation hold
  • SEVIS Transfer hold - (transfer students)
If you have submitted all of your documents for an I-20 through the International Portal, completed your pre-arrival modules, and committed to attending the mandatory International Orientation these holds will be released.
How do I know what courses to register for?
Contact your academic advisor to discuss your degree plan. Find your advisor on the TWU Academic Advising website.  

What are the enrollment requirements each semester for F-1 international students?
F-1 international students are required to be enrolled in full-time credits each fall and spring semester. Full-time enrollment is considered to be 9 hours for graduate students and 12 hours for undergraduate students. In the summer, F-1 international students may enroll part-time, full-time, or not at all. There are circumstances in which a student can be considered full-time, taking fewer than the required hours with prior permission. See the FAQ: International Portal Access page for more information on these circumstances.