Skip to content

Employment Information

International students on an F-1 visa must receive prior authorization from International Student and Scholar Services before being eligible to work in the United States. Learn more about employment opportunities, both on and off-campus: 
International Students are allowed to work on-campus 20 hours per week while enrolled in classes. Employment and assistantships are not guaranteed, and should not be considered as primary means of support.

International Students must have a Social Security Number to be employed on campus. Once you have an on-campus position, you will need to apply for a U.S. Social Security Number, if you do not have one currently.

Steps for Finding & Securing On-Campus Employment

  1. Explore On-Campus Employment Resources
  2. Obtain an On-Campus Employment Offer Letter from your supervisor
  3. Submit a Social Security Letter Request
    • You must attach both the On-Campus Employment Officer Letter and the Application by Nonimmigrant Student (F-1) for On Campus Employment at TWU to the request
  4. Apply for a U.S. Social Security Number

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

CPT allows students to participate in either an internship or training required of all students within a particular major, or employment for degree credit that is an integral part of the degree plan. Additional Resources:

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

OPT provides up to 12 months of off-campus employment authorization. Employment must be directly related to the student’s major and can occur either during a student’s program (Pre-Completion OPT) or after graduation (Post-Completion OPT). Additional Resources:

STEM Optional Practical Training (OPT) Extension

STEM OPT Extensions provide students, with majors in the STEM fields (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics), an additional 24 month period of work authorization resulting in a total of 36 months of OPT work authorization. 
If an F-1 student has maintained status for at least nine months and their financial situation drastically changes “due to unforeseen circumstances beyond their control," s/he may apply to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for off-campus employment based on severe economic hardship. Please allow 4-6 months for processing. Please contact International Student & Scholar Services for more details.